October 25, 2011
Recipe Box: Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
I've been meaning to post this recipe for awhile now. Better late than never, huh? I made these a few weeks back and brought them into work. Great mid-morning snack with a cup of your favorite coffee. Just make sure you mix your frosting better than I did, so there's not lumps of powdered sugar.
Anything pumpkin just screams fall to me. Quintessential Halloween and Thanksgiving desserts. And anything made with pumpkin NOT from a can is even better. Last week I made pumpkin pie with from scratch pumpkin puree. Never going back to the canned pumpkin again.
PUMPKIN CINNAMON ROLLS
1/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup canned pumpkin or pumpkin puree
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
1 (1/4 ounce) pkg dry yeast
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons melted butter
1. In small saucepan, heat milk and 2 tablespoons butter just until butter is almost melted. In large mixer bowl, combine pumpkin, sugar, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
2. Add milk and butter. Mix well. Beat in egg and yeast.
3. Add half of the flour to pumpkin mixture. Beat mixture on low speed 5 minutes. Add remaining flour and mix. The dough will be very soft.
3. Spray bowl with cooking spray and turn dough into bowl. Spray top of dough lightly with spray.
4. Cover with plastic wrap and dish towel. Let rise in warm place 1 hour. Punch dough down. Turn onto floured surface. Knead a few turns to form a smooth dough. Sprinkle dough with flour when needed to keep from sticking. Roll dough into 12×10 inch rectangle.
5. In small bowl, combine the brown sugar and cinnamon. Brush surface of dough with melted butter. Sprinkle with brown sugar mixture.
6. Beginning with long side of dough, roll up jellyroll style. Pinch seam to seal. With sharp knife, cut roll into 12 1- inch slices. Place rolls in greased baking pan. Cover with towel and let rise about 30 minutes.
7. Bake rolls at 350 degrees about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to waxed paper-lined wire rack. Cool 10 to 15 minutes.
8. Drizzle with Caramel Frosting and enjoy!
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
1. In small saucepan, heat butter until melted. Stir in brown sugar and milk.
2. Cook over medium low heat 1 minute.
3. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
4. Stir in vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and powdered sugar. Mix until well blended.
5. If necessary, add more confectioners’ sugar.
Your house/apartment/dorm/whatever will be smelling delicious in no time!
Original recipe found here.