November 29, 2011

Recipe Box: Almond Joy Scones

Do you like Almond Joys? Yum. When I came across this recipe I just had to give them a try. Super easy to make.


Almond Joy Scones

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup wheat flour
1 cup almond flour
2 tbs. sugar
3 tps baking powder
1/2 tps baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
1 egg
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
1/3 cup shredded coconut
1/3 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup mini choco chips

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Line two baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray.
2. In bowl, whisk together flour sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. Toss the cold butter cubes into the flour mixture. Cut together butter and flour either with fingers or pastry cutter. Work until there are crumbles of butter the size of peas and oats. Put in fridge for a few minutes.
4. Whisk together buttermilk and egg.
5. Take the flour/butter mixture out of fridge and add coconut, almonds, and chocolate chips. Mix together and create a well in the center of the mixture.  
6. Add the buttermilk and egg all at once to the well.  Use a fork to bring ingredients together. Mixture will be shaggy.  
7. Flour a work surface and dump the shaggy dough mixture out onto the counter.  Bring together the dough with your hands into a 1 1/2-inch thick round disk. 
8. Use round biscuit cutter or water glass to cut out biscuits.
9. Place biscuits on the baking sheet. Brush with beaten egg white and sprinkle with course or regular sugar.
10. Bake biscuits for 14-18 minutes, until golden brown.  Remove from the oven.
11. Enjoy!

Original recipe can be found here.

I was extremely lazy and didn't want to toast my almonds or coconut. I'm sure it would have given the scones a bit more flavor. I think next time I may add a bit of almond extract.

I also didn't have any buttermilk on hand. Sure was prepared to make these, huh? So I used 1/2 cup regular milk, 1/4 cup heavy cream, and 2 tbs. of almond milk. (My fridge had every type of milk except buttermilk...) I'm sure you could all regular milk. But I like to experiment.


By the way...Have you entered my giveaway yet? Check out this post to find out more! Giveaway is open until Sunday, December 4th.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...