November 2, 2011

Recipe Box: Caprese Salad


I'm quite sad our local Farmer's Market is over with now for the year. It had kind of become a Saturday tradition when I'm in town for the weekend to hit it up and get some fresh veggies. Then I would visit a local antique shop downtown that is HUGE! It's full of great things.

One thing that always seemed plentiful at the Farmer's Market was tomatoes. Now, I like a good tomato every now and then, but I usually don't eat them. But I kept seeing recipes for a simple Italian salad. So I picked some up and decided to give it a try.

Easy Caprese Salad with Toasted Bread

Cherry or Grape Tomatoes
Mozzarella Cheese (I got the little pearls)
Basil
Olive Oil
Balsamic Vinegar
Salt & Pepper

Toss together an even amount of tomatoes and mozzarella in a bowl. Slice basil into little ribbons and toss in. I'm leaving the amount up to you, kind of depends on your taste and how much you like basil. Then drizzle enough olive oil and balsamic vinegar to lightly coat tomatoes and cheese. Add a dash of salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.

Slice a loaf of bread into thick pieces. Brush with olive oil and place in a 425 degree oven. Let toast for 5-ish minutes and flip, do the same for this side. Remove and enjoy with your salad!

Looking for another way to enjoy this salad? Boil up some pasta and toss in with everything else.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...