January 31, 2011

Inspire Me: The Giving Keys

Hey! Wow, it was sure a long week without the internet. Kind of refreshing though, not going to lie. I did some designing, some crocheting, some roadtripping, some insane amounts of doing nothing. I am currently trying to rid myself of the worst backache I've had in my life. 

I will start by telling you that tonight I watched probably the best episode of Chuck everrrrr. And now I have to wait until next Monday for what the creators Josh Schwartz and Chris Fedak say is supposed to be the best episode yet... a new one. Had my episode numbers mixed up. Just kidding, it was the epic episode they were talking about. 

I would like to share something with you I found last week that I absolutely adore. Remember the singer/songwriter I posted about awhile back, Caitlin Crosby? Well, I discovered one of her amazing projects called THE GIVING KEYS



Basically, they are keys custom engraved with a word of your choice. It is a Pay It Forward project. She met a homeless couple on Hollywood Boulevard and hired them to do the engraving for her as part of paying it forward. The idea is to wear this necklace/bracelet and if you meet, talk, or encounter somebody who you feel is in need of whatever your key represents you are supposed to pass it along to them. All the proceeds from this go to charity.

I think I'm going to get one and have "inspire" engraved. It is my favorite word. I think it is incredibly powerful and that word drives my life.

This as inspired me to consider when I get my shop up and running to donate all or a part of my profits to charity or a non-profit. I have always wanted to do something good and unselfish. I think this could be a good way to start. 

I went to one of my favorite places ever this past Saturday, good ol' Bemidji. I got to hang out with Marlon, a dear friend of mine for the day. (I'm sure you are familiar with him by now, he's mentioned in many of my posts.) It was excellent. I hadn't seen him for months. We did our usual Perkin's adventure loaded with design jargon and life updates. 

We attempted some hats in the afternoon. Didn't get too far. The stitches were difficult to get in between sniffles and sneezes. In my horrible attempted to document this experience, I caught him in mid-sniffle. I gave up after that. 

He mentioned he wanted me to do some sort of tutorial for crocheting. I may have to do that...

We hashed out some of his portfolio stuff and some stuff for the new H.o.S. branding campaign he is starting. We are both super pumped for it and got some good ideas a-flowin'. We also started some planning about our future company and, man, is that going to be frickin' bomb. There are so many great ideas we have. Only have seven more years to go until that gets underway! It's great when you have a business partner who has the same idea brainwaves as you. 

Alright, well enough chatter from me. I'm off to catch up on my blog reading, website browsing, and idea gathering. Maybe some crocheting before bed. I've started mittens and I'm going to finish them this time. 

Tomorrow I will tell you about this fantastic book I bought while on my little adventure...Oh, the suspense...

:)

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...